The Rise of HTML5

I tried to visit a site that would produce a Google style logo for me. Imagine my surprise when I got a message greeting me as an "old timer". It then went on to say that the site I was visiting required HTML5. It recommended I download Chrome or Firefox to view the site.

Normally I would not think twice about this. I would just click to go to some other site. But I just went through an upgrade to Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. The upgrade was a difficult path. My initial tries resulted in error. Had to get some help getting the thing installed and working.

I also thought that HTML5 was not even a standard yet. The current standard should be XHTML, which is HTML4 plus a little XML. What is going on here? Must be some Google ploy to battle with Microsoft. Maybe I will try going to the site with Firefox. But this better be a damn good site with all this trouble.