Web Technologies

Sooner or later I suspect the client/server system I work on will go to the web. Therefore I figure I had better learn web development. But what technology should I learn? There are many to choose from.

At first I took a Java programming class. Currently I am taking a class on HTML and CSS. However these are just the basics. There are web specific technologies out there which are waiting to be learned

I hear that AJAX is a simple choice. It allows you to update sections of a web page instead of reloading the whole darn thing. And if you want to do animation, then Adobe Flash is the tool for you. These days however, I hear more about Adobe AIR than Flash.

Finally the Microsoft solution is Silverlight. The latest incarnation of this technology is Silverlight 3. This product is focused on rich Internet applications. In other words, if you want a web app to look like a mature desktop app, pick Silverlight. You get .NET support to boot.