Going to the Web

The Software Maintenance blog give an example of one project that is going to the Web. Moving from a client server environment to a web one involves a number of technologies. Of course there are some bare bones basics like web servers and HTML. But it is so much more than that. Frequently developers are classified as either desktop or web developers. Making the transition can be difficult.

I have sensed a different outlook amongst web developers. That might be a hard trait to emulate. However it should not be difficult to identify some common technologies used by web developers. For example, they may tend to use a combination of Java and JavaScript on the front and back ends. And you can pretty well imagine that they might be using XML format for sending data between systems.

Personally I am planning to enroll in some classes to beef up my web programming skills. The first one is going to be Java 101. I guess that would actually be my second class. I have already taken an introductory XML class.